Conor McGregor vs Khabib Nurmagomedov Announced For UFC 229

Conor Mc Gregor Celebrates

Conor Mc Gregor hasn't graced the Octagon in over 20 months

It's official. Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon and UFC on October 6 in Las Vegas for a now-anticipated fight against undefeated lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov. Nurmagomedov (26-0) won the title in April at UFC 223 against last minute challenger Al Iaquinta in a dominating performance that ended with a unanimous decision.

The often-outspoken Irishman has not fought in the octagon since November 2016, when he became only the third man to capture UFC titles in two different weight classes by beating Eddie Alvarez.

Combat sports fans were expecting the UFC to organized a world tour to get McGregor and Nurmagomedov to promote their fight which is being billed as the biggest MMA fight in the history of the sport. Last month he was sentenced to five days of community service in the U.S. after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct. "However, I fought at 170, and I relinquish the title; I fought at 185, and I relinquished the title; I don't think the UFC will let me fight for the title at 155".

"And obviously for Conor, coming back from a two-year layoff, in my opinion - and it's insane to say this because of how popular he is around the world - but he's one of the most underrated fighters in the UFC".

Nurmagomedov, the Dagestan-born Russian champion, has been one of the pound-for- pound greats of MMA when healthy, racking up 10 consecutive victories since joining the UFC.

Regardless of the wild antics that lead up to the fight, the two should make for quite a bout.

"We're pretty confident that we can control what happens", White said.

‘Special to me:’ Tiger Woods reflects on last Bridgestone Invitational in Akron
On Wednesday, Tiger told reporters the straight-forward course at Firestone, which is rare on the tour, will remain a special place to him.

"I hope that there are no more provocations from McGregor", Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov told R-Sport.

White didn't disclose terms of the deal that was reached.

Conor McGregor's return to the UFC is officially set.

In an interview with TMZ, Diaz said the lawsuit was settled a month ago and criticized the UFC for their lack of promotion.

"Suspended? He hasn't fought in 2 years".

Well it seems like Conor McGregor's Irish lawyer may have confirmed the date and location for his bout with Nurmagomedov.

"I'm not fighting on that show", Diaz tweeted moments after stepping off stage, adding an expletive directed toward the UFC.

Latest News