Interested in China? Add China as an interest to stay up to date on the latest China news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
A medical team was screening more Americans who work at the USA consulate in southern China on Thursday as the State Department confirmed it had evacuated a number of government employees who experienced unexplained health issues like those that had beset U.S. personnel in Cuba and once before in China.
The alert, the second in just two weeks, urged Americans to seek medical help in the event they suffered any "unusual, unexplained physical symptoms or events, auditory or sensory phenomena, or other health concerns".
The medical teams were sent to the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou after an employee had complained of "subtle and vague, but abnormal sensations of sound and pressure" over several months from late 2017 until April.
The tests were prompted after a previous case in the Guangzhou consulate was disclosed last month.
The case revived fears that a United States rival has developed some kind of acoustic or microwave device after similar symptoms were reported among American diplomats and their families in Cuba in 2016.
The US has set up a task force to oversee the response to the mystery ailments among diplomats in China and Cuba, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday.
The most recent evacuations followed medical testing that revealed they might have been affected.
Arsenal schedule meeting with Man United contract rebel Marouane Fellaini
The player continues to remain quiet but has said that he will officially announce a decision on his future before the World Cup starts.
On Wednesday the U.S. government said that it had brought a group of people from that consulate back to the United States for further evaluation of their symptoms, and that it was offering screening to anyone at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing or other consulates in China who requested it. The symptoms included dizziness, nausea, headaches, hearing loss, and inability to concentrate. "Instead, move to a different location". "On May 16, 2018, a USA government employee serving in China was medically-confirmed with similar findings", Pompeo said.
A US medical team is also on the ground in Guangzhou doing initial evaluations to see if more people need to be sent home, the Associated Press has reported.
Requested in regards to the newest incidents, Chinese language Overseas Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying mentioned the USA had not formally raised the matter with Beijing.
"If there's really a problem then the United States side can directly contact the Chinese side and communicate, and China will continue to conscientiously investigate and coordinate with a responsible attitude", Hua said.
Speaking in Washington in May, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said China had been investigating the incident but hadn't yet found the source of the "sonic influence". That is the place docs have been treating and finding out sufferers beforehand evacuated from the U.S. Embassy in Havana.
U.S. officials have said that the employee's symptoms were consistent with the ailments that USA diplomats experienced in Cuba past year.
In April, Canada also ordered families of diplomatic staff in Cuba to return home after mysterious health symptoms were detected in 10 Canadians stationed on the island. Canada mentioned the 10 continued to point out unexplained mind signs and that "medical info raised considerations for a brand new sort of a attainable acquired mind harm".
Pompeo had previously said on May 23 the Guangzhou incident was very similar to the mysterious sound-related illnesses experienced by USA personnel in Cuba in 2016 and 2017, a statement which was reiterated by his department on Wednesday.