Texas man bitten after severing rattlesnake’s head

The man beheaded it with a shovel but he soon found out how dangerous a dead snake can

The man beheaded it with a shovel but he soon found out how dangerous a dead snake can

A diamondback rattlesnake - not this one - injected a Texas man with a unsafe dose of venom even though it had been decapitated.

On May 27, Jeremy Sutcliffe and his wife Jennifer were doing yard work at their home near Lake Corpus Christi in southern Texas.

When he tried to dispose of the snake, the snake's head bit him, pumping all the venom it had into him, Sutcliffe said.

As we read in a yarn from Elizabeth Palermo for Live Science, a rattlesnake's bite is a reflex the can occur even after its death.

Soon afterward, Sutcliffe's husband couldn't see and started to have seizures, she said. An air ambulance was requisitioned and the man was airlifted to the hospital.

Sutcliffe said the first 24 hours were the worst.

Trump tariffs: Mexico retaliates against USA products
Disruption to U.S. -Canada trade could also affect cross-border supply chains that have grown during the NAFTA era . On Friday, Trump floated the idea of negotiating separate bilateral trade pacts with Canada and Mexico.

The woman shared that doctors informed her that her husband may not pull through.

Sutcliffe said her husband needed 26 doses of antivenom, where a normal patient gets two to four doses.

More than a week later, the man is in stable condition, but still showing signs of weakened kidney function due to the shocking bite.

Dying from a snake bite is rare, Michael Halpert, a trauma surgeon in Corpus Christi, told KIII.

"No, you don't want to do any of that", Halpert said. And when he went to pick up the severed head, it sank its fangs into his flesh and released a near deadly dose of venom.

He beheaded it with a shovel, but he soon found out how risky a dead snake can be. Living snakes typically strike quickly and rear back from whatever threat they perceive, but because the one in this instance was dead, it most likely latched on until someone forcibly removed it. A better option, experts say, is to call animal control to have the snake safely removed.

Latest News